Friday, June 17, 2016
I was watching a Gregory Peck movie about Horatio Hornblower. A fictional character created by the author C.S. Forester, this Royal Navy officer gets in a number of tough situations as he wages war against the French during the time of Napoleon.
In the heat of battle, huge sailing ships blast cannons at each other at close range. The cannonballs rip into ship riggings, main masts, and wooden decks, shattering them to pieces. In one scene, Horatio gets knocked down and covered by wreckage. As the crew pulls it off of him, he gets back up and continues to give orders, straightening his uniform and adjusting his odd, black, two cornered hat.
These days I feel a little like Horatio. Even though I signed up for this fight, things can get pretty overwhelming, and often I find myself underneath a pile of wreckage. The enemy attacks from my blind side and before I know it, those things I counted on are falling down all around me.
Deuteronomy 31:8 says "the Lord is indeed going before you-he will be with you; he will not fail you or abandon you. Do not be afraid or discouraged!" It's so good to know I am not alone in this fight, and I can get back up because God is beside me and will not leave me to wage these battles alone. Knowing that makes all the difference!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment